Today is my 45th birthday.
I’ve enjoyed some wonderful experiences in my life from my infancy in Billings, Montana to a short few years in Ithaca, NY and my adolescence in Columbus. My college years were spent in Gainesville, Florida then after graduation, life took me to Homosassa Springs, Florida and Cleveland before returning back to Central Ohio.
I have learned a lot in my life but would never claim to know it all. In honor of my 45 years on this earth, here are the 45 things I know…
- October is my favorite month – It‘s my birthday month, the meat of the college football season begins, the NFL gets into high gear, the MLB playoffs occur, college hoops starts practice, and hockey (usually) hits the ice?
- Crinkle french fries taste better.
- Chocolate chip cookies fresh from the oven are the best (but an argument can be made for really fresh Oreo’s and cold milk).
- My favorite beer is “free beer.” My second favorite is “cold beer.” All other beer is tied for 3rd.
- Being on time is always a good rule of thumb. It will also be appreciated because not everyone lives by this rule of thumb.
- I don’t trust places that don’t serve Heinz Ketchup as much as those that do.
- A referral that comes completely out of the blue totally makes your day.
- If you want more engagement on your social media sites, end your status updates with more question marks than periods. Think about it. How do you get the most feedback on Facebook and Twitter?
- You’ll never regret laughing so hard that you cry.
- You’ll always regret not trying your hardest.
- Traveling home from a sports road trip is so much more fun when your team wins than when they lose.
- My father would have really loved today’s technology like the iPad.
- The DVR might be one of the coolest inventions ever.
- There is no meal that bacon can’t make a little better.
- You don’t have to be a great singer to enjoy turning up the radio in your car and singing along.
- It’s great to be a Florida Gator!
- Saying “please” and “thank you” should never be discouraged.
- I’m thankful to have hit 2 holes-in-one on the golf course but I will gladly take a few more before my golf career is over. (Do you hear that Golf Gods?)
- Getting a ReTweet on Twitter is always cool.
- Love ‘em or hate ‘em, sports are better when Tiger Woods, Notre Dame, the New York Yankees and the Dallas Cowboys are good.
- Waffle House waitresses aren’t bullshitting you. They really are that friendly.
- Enjoying stand-up comedy is always a fun night out.
- If I never had to wear a tie again, I’d be okay with it.
- There is a big difference between being effective and being efficient.
- I like my pizza toppings to be some type of meat. If you want vegetables on your pizza, order a salad.
- Any day that I can make someone smile or laugh, increase their confidence or become better at what they do, is a good day.
- I like my books to have short chapters like those by Lee Child, Randy Wayne White or Seth Godin. It’s always fun to read “just one more chapter” and then get hooked for a few more.
- Running a marathon (Columbus ’06) is one of the hardest yet most rewarding things I’ve ever done in my life.
- Everyone has a junk drawer in their house and no matter how often you try to clean/organize it, you keep adding crap to it.
- There aren’t many more beautiful spots on earth than Glacier National Park in Montana.
- I love selecting the tunes on a jukebox in a crowded bar.
- Playing golf with a caddy carrying your clubs is more enjoyable than carrying your own clubs.
- Playing golf and carrying your own clubs is more enjoyable than not playing golf.
- I wish Bill Watterson would start drawing more Calvin & Hobbes comic strips.
- Your “stupid old parents” become wiser and wiser each and every day.
- Most of the things that used to really make me mad just don’t matter anymore.
- A dude playing acoustic guitar and singing great songs will make drinking beers on a patio in the summer much more enjoyable.
- My kids make me proud to be their Dad every day.
- You can learn a lot if you just read the quotes of Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, Mark Twain and Zig Ziglar.
- Even if you write “Ask to See ID” on the signature line of your credit cards, very few people will ever ask to see your ID.
- Some of the best friends I have in my life today came directly via social media sites so the next time someone ever questions the “ROI of Social Media” I just chuckle.
- Getting a hand-written note in the mail is still one of life’s greatest treats. Everyone needs to send more hand-written notes.
- It sure would be neat to spend some time with family members I have lost.
- If you haven’t said “I love you” to those people in your life who are special to you, there’s no better time than today. You never know when you might not have another chance.
- Life is better when you spend it building relationships, solving problems and having fun.
Is there anything I forgot? What’s something fun that you’ve learned in your life? Please share it below in the comments. I can always learn more.
I hope I’ll be able to share “things I know” with you for many more years. Thanks for being a loyal Carp’s Corner reader.
Photo Credit: Omer Wazier via Creative Commons