Back in high school, many of us had to study the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. For those who weren’t lucky (?) enough to have been assigned to read this story/play, it’s basically two characters – Vladimir and Estragon – waiting on a third person, the titular Godot, to show up.
That’s it. That’s the whole premise of the play.
Nope, nothing else. No murder mystery. No love story. No action packed fight sequence.
I hate to say it but, as I have been out in front of agents “in the field,” I have been seeing a lot of people in the real estate industry just “waiting for Godot” lately.
Want to see if you’re one of them? Ask yourself the following questions and be honest with your answers:
- When was the last time you spoke to your current Sellers voice to voice or face to face?
- How many times have you spoken voice to voice or face to face with any of your clients who have bought or sold a house with you in the last 12 months?
- What have you done for the people who have referred you leads in the last year?
- When was the last time you knocked on a For Sale By Owners door to offer assistance?
- Can you remember the last time you followed up with an expired Seller?
- Can you identify all the people who live on your immediate block…by name?
- What new organizations have you become a part of since this time last year?
Are you just sitting their “waiting for Godot”?
“Godot” might have visited you often back when the market was good but today is a new type of market and “Godot”, like Elvis, has left the building.
It’s time to take control of your business and quit waiting for it to come to you. Every day people will be deciding to sell their house and every day, people will be deciding to buy a house. Will they hear from you, either directly or via a personal referral?
Or will they end up using Vladimir or Estragon? They may not have a clue, but at least they are out there “on stage”, in front of a live studio audience.